The McConnell Foundation Study Abroad in Laos Fellowship: 2017.
The McConnell Foundation is sponsoring a delegation from Shasta County to participate in the 2017 Summer Study Abroad in Laos (SAIL) program, a five-week cultural emersion study program hosted by the Lao-American College in Vientiane, Lao PDR.
The SAIL program is offered annually by the Center for Lao Studies, a nonprofit organization based in San Francisco. The McConnell Foundation is offering sponsorship for a select number of youth applicants from Shasta County in order to:
- Increase our local community’s awareness of the diverse cultures of peoples from Laos;
- Provide a mechanism for descendants of refugees from Laos to learn their heritage and the stories of their elders;
- And to help preserve the language and culture of the Lao diaspora and minority ethnic groups of Laos.
Selected Fellows will receive full scholarship for the SAIL program tuition and a stipend for travel expenses.
This Fellowship is targeting heritage students – descendants of refugees from Laos – but anyone with passion and commitment to learn Lao language, history, and culture, is encouraged to apply.
Qualifying applicants must:
- Be of or between the ages of 16 – 22
- Be a resident of Shasta County (those living elsewhere but whose parents live in Shasta County are eligible)
- Submit your application before the deadline of February 27th
Embark in the life changing experience of cultural immersion in Laos!
Visit the Center for Lao Studies SAIL program site for more details on the 5-week cultural immersion program HERE.
Visit Laos Vicariously…
Through the interviews, videos, and personal blogs of The McConnell Foundation Study Abroad in Laos (SAIL) Fellows who participated in the 2016 Center for Lao Studies program.