What to Expect: Phase 1 Demo to begin 11/11/19
Next week, the northern end of the parking structure at the corner of California and Tehama streets in downtown Redding will close. The southern portion of parking structure will remain available during Phase 1 Demolition. For information on where to park during this transition, go to: https://www.cityofredding.org/downtown.
To access the new, free parking that The McConnell Foundation has made accessible to the public one block north of the parking structure at the corner of California & Tehama streets, enter from the California Street side (1313 California Street). You know you’re in the right place because it looks like this:
Parking will be available to the public from 7AM to 10PM Sunday through Friday. On Saturdays, the northern portion of the lot will remain available, and the courtyard will be used for community events with kid-friendly activities at California Street Labs.
- On October 25th, the onsite project team (Modern Builders, K2, The McConnell Foundation) mapped out the fence line plan for Phase 1 construction.
- On November 1st, the City of Redding issued a press release about the anticipated closing.
- On November 1st, KRCR-TV did a feature piece: “Parking Garage on California Street in Redding Will Close November 11th”
- On November 2nd, the Redding Record Searchlight covered this news in its story titled “Downtown Redding Continues to Evolve. Why it’s About More than the Parking Garage Going Away”
- Signs are also up along the project frontages, to notify downtown neighbors about the upcoming change.
What will be built in its place? A mixed-use development to help make downtown more vibrant.
- Sharing Downtown Updates with Redding Sunset Rotary (October 2019)
- California Street Development Phasing: Top Takeaways + Video (October 2019)
- California Street Development Preview (September 2019)
- Trails & Bikeways Council (September 2019)
- Shasta Dam Kiwanis Club August 2019
- Presentation at the Elks Club (July 2019)
- Cornerstone Bank Downtown Branch community (June 2019)
- Viva Downtown State of Downtown (May 2019)
- Shasta Association of Realtors (March 2019)
- Leadership Redding (December 2018)
- Caltrans North Region Managers (October 2018)
- RISE Young Professionals (June 2018)
- League of Women Voters of the Redding Area (May 2018)
- Viva Downtown State of Downtown (May 2018)
- Local Indians for Education, Shasta Historical Society & Redding Futures at Pasts & Futures of California Street (January 2018)
- Community Input Meeting (November 2017)